6.25.2010

Ugly lantern makeover.

Ugly lanterns found at Goodwill.
(I jumped the gun and sprayed the lights silver before I got a picture of the ugly brass color...you get the idea though).

It wasn't my intention to use the glass frame for the light but I thought they made a unique and peculiar centerpiece. Plus, waste not...

From here on out I have to credit Mrs. Devore for the original creativity and inspiration for this project. Here's what I used to paint and prime the lights silver.


Ain't spray paint fun!

Crystals from Lowe's.

The "Honey-Do" Man.


Shades from Target.










These pictures prove that it's time to upgrade my camera.
The pics don't the the new lights justice.
Much better in person.





29 comments:

Katie said...

Perfect!! I love it. I would love a chandy/shade like that...now just to figure out where to put it!

the cape on the corner said...

that looks perfect, and you even have 2! plus candle holders. talk about bang for your buck! That's a great idea for my bedroom, if only i didn't need an ugly ol' ceiling fan!!

Lisa Rogers said...

Those look REALLY nice. Our older home only has eight foot ceilings...I would so do that if they were a little taller. Good job!

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Wow, two for one, or rather four for two...fabulous job!! I love the thinking outside the box approach and these add even style to your already fabulous entry!! Janell

1 Funky Woman said...

Fantastic, I believe in that motto too! I love the shades you used and am so in love with your striped walls!

Melissa Marie Head said...

Wow that is just amazing to me. I would have never thought to transform those lights into something so gorgeous.

Dayka Robinson said...

you're so inventive! i love that it adds extra pop to your entry, even thought it didn't seem like it was missing anything before. have a great weekend, michelle!

Deepali Kalia Interior Design Blog Filling Spaces said...

very classy

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Very pretty and such a great idea!
Thanks for sharing!

Rondell

Jill@Barnes Yard said...

Every time I see new pics of your house, I love it more!!

Anonymous said...

You did a fabulous job on these! I'm loving the crystals!

Rachel
xoxo

Averill said...

Perfect! It looks so good in your entryway. Have a great weekend, Michelle!

Annie said...

As usual... you knock it out of the park! And now me thinks I have found my inspiration piece for my office lighting!!! Thank you!!

Aviva said...

Wow - they look great! :)

Just A Girl said...

Ummm, AMAAAAZING!I have a white light identical to those in my entrance. This is so happening!

Tonia Lee Smith said...

Fabulous as always.

angela | the painted house said...

Just found your blog! You are a clever one-love how you repurposed the ugly light fixtures. :)

Beautiful home, too!

Ange said...

I have been hanging out to see this make-over and it was worth the wait - they look spectacular. Of course you'd need something stunning to go with your AMAZING stripes. Every time I see them I go weak at the knees!
Angex

Anonymous said...

I too saw this idea on Ms. Devore's blog and have been wanting to do it ever since. Yours look awesome!! One technical question I'm pondering though.....the shade you're using is a standard shade with the small circular hole in the centre of the hanging hardware....How did you make the chain and rope of the fixture fit through that small hole? Did you just feed the rope through and put the chain on the outside?

Jessica Kopp said...

The lights are beautiful. I'm brand new to your blog, and super curious about your chalkboard wall. Do you have any posts that have a complete picture? I love how you added the vinyl letter. I'm thinking of adding this to my toy room and would love any advice.

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

I am featuring this idea on crazydomestic.com tomorrow! Thanks for the inspiration!
Steph

Nishant said...

I have found my inspiration piece for my office lighting!!! Thank you!!
Banner Advertising Network India

J. Elizabeth said...

Love the lamp and absolutely obsessed with your walls! I am totally thinking of doing a similar striping on my walls now.

Hannah said...

Your entryway is amazing! I've never seen anything like it--very inspiring. I'm your newest follower!

Aspiring Kennedy said...

ok- holy moly. this area looks fantastic!! great job, and the lights looks amazing.

i am super impressed. {and i am a bit of a tough sell.} love it!

Dwellings by DeVore said...

These look great!

psilovethis said...

Wow your entry way looks so high end with the strips and the new light fixtures. Beautiful.

Ray* said...

LOVE THIS!!!! Very creative.

Your blog rocks!!!!!

Carrie Ann Eddleman said...

Very cool, thanks for the link. I did take my clients old brass chandie, and I plan to give it a new paint job and use it in my office. I'm all about using everything and I love a goodwill find. : )